fotoluvr - View my most interesting photos on Flickriver

Monday, July 26, 2004

The Rule of Four

What seemed like an intelligent, Da-Vinci-Code-esque thriller has turned out to be a soporific, pretentious, Ivy league drama about ultra-intellectuals who spend weeks, possibly months, researching the meaning of a 500 year old text that - hold your breath - holds the clue to civilization - or so the marketing on the cover leads you to believe. I am not a fan of ultra-intellectualism (I just coined that term - does that make me one? help!). There are people who spend an entire lifetime trying to understand and uncover truths from our past - so that we have a better understand of who we are. Then there are people who chase arcane topics just to feel superior - immersing themselves in a world of fancy vocalubary and European cultural trivia. The authors of the Rule of Four seem to fall into the latter.

On the bright side, it sure helps me sleep :) I last about 1 chapter each night. At that rate, I will have finished it by Winter. Lets see how long I can keep this up.

I meant the blog - what did you think?

No comments: