fotoluvr - View my most interesting photos on Flickriver

Friday, May 05, 2006

Foto

I'm taking a photography class to learn the darkroom process. We had our first printing session yesterday. Here's a scan of my first successful print!! It took about 5 tries to get it right, but it finally worked!


The picture is a clocktower on Yonge St. You can see the top of First Canadian Place (BMO tower) in the background.

Black and white pictures really force you to think about contrast, exposure and composition. I miss colour, but I need to get the basics down first.

6 comments:

autogato said...

It's very lovely! I did notice a contrast in the color, between the tower in the foreground and the rest of the gray in the background. You might think I'm a little nuts here, but the difference in color really highlights the phallic nature of the tower. (ARG - I'm starting to sound too much like some of the Freudian theory I've been studying!!!!)

Blame it on my Comps.

But it is a lovely photo. I look forward to you posting many more!

Ameet said...

Hmm ... phallic symbol ... the mind works in mysterious ways ;)

It was an overcast day, and I had to raise the contrast to make the pic more interesting. That really made the tower pop out (no pun intended).

Wild Reeds said...

Congrats Ameet! Glad you're learning 'newnew' things :-)
What prompted you to learn this technology (especially with digicams being the order of the day)?

Ameet said...

sphinx: thank you.

wr: I always wanted to understand what magic happens at the photo processing stage. The manual, time-consuming nature of the process forces you to slow down and think about the technical details of the picture. I doubt I'll use a darkroom later but at least I'll better understand what I'm doing in Photoshop. Besides, its fun!

autogato said...

Pop, eh?

I love it.

Surely the pun was intended!

:)

Andy said...

OMG That is SO über cool, I'm jealous. Now you are going to be an even better photog than you already were. Not fair! :-) Muah love you!!