fotoluvr - View my most interesting photos on Flickriver

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

America

Thumbing through my iTunes music collection, I came across a song I haven't heard in ages. America by Simon & Garfunkel. A simple, silly song that magically captures the spirit of youth and that of a nation. It takes me back to when I was younger and exploring a new land. This, I thought, would be a good epilogue to the prior post.

Let us be lovers we'll marry our fortunes together
I've got some real estate here in my bag
So we bought a pack of cigarettes and Mrs. Wagner pies
And walked on to look for America

"Cathy," I said, as we boarded a Greyhound in Pittsburgh
"Michigan seems like a dream to me now"
It took me four days to hitch-hike from Saginaw
I've gone to look for America

Laughing on the bus, playing games with the faces
She said the man in the gabardine suit is a spy
I said be careful his bow-tie is really a camera

"Pass me a cigarette I think there's one in my raincoat"
"We smoked the last one an hour ago"
So I looked at the scenery, and she read a magazine
The moon rose over an open field

"Cathy, I'm lost", I said though I knew she was sleeping
I'm empty and aching and I don't know why
Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
They've all gone to look for America

15 comments:

Andy said...

never heard of it. You should sing it and post the recording.:-)

Ameet said...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5n4TULPMEsU

autogato said...

Interesting post. Now you've got me all in a thinky mood.

Anonymous said...

Sigh... I hear you

Anonymous said...

Am looking for America too, esp the more generous optimistic one rather this new fearful inward looking nation. All this cos of 911?

Andy said...

That isn't YOU singing it. SO not the same!

Anonymous said...

i know i know, i KNOW the song!
;-)
and i like it too.
though, to tell the truth, i never paid attention to the lyrics earlier. nice stuff.

Ameet said...

autogato: focus on the dissertation!!!

anon: sigh

sanjay: I think most of this was brewing already - 9/11 just caused the pot to boil over

andy: my guitar's broken :(

vibhor: check the link above

closetalk: glad you like it too. Have you seen the movie Almost Famous?

autogato said...

I know, I know. Thanks for the reminder about the dissertation.
Dissertation. Or as I prefer to call it, PISSERtation.

Chic Mommy said...

I've never heard of this song either, but it sounds pretty deep. I'll have to check out that youtube link

See Bee said...

i like the song...my fave part is the one about the spy and his bowtie being a camera ;)

any idea why that was included? poking fun at bond movies? or was something happenng in greyhound buses in the 70's? :P

this is what happens when u read too much between the lines :P

Ameet said...

autogoto: Yesss - you do that!

chic_mommy: check out that link!

tq: I think those lines just capture the cold war paranoia that captured America in the 60s & 70s

Anonymous said...

i looooooooooooved Almost Famous. ;-)

EYE said...

yep nice song!:)

Wild Reeds said...

Beautiful.