fotoluvr - View my most interesting photos on Flickriver

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Is This for Real?

This morning, I read a story in the editorial section of the Toronto Star. Not being fully awake, I couldn't figure out if it was a spoof or a true story. Apparently it's true.

The town of Herouxville in Québec, population 1,300, published some controversial rules on its website regarding new immigrants. Here's a translated excerpt:

"We wish to inform these new arrivals that the way of life which they abandoned when they left their countries of origin cannot be recreated here,"

"We consider it completely outside norms to... kill women by stoning them in public, burning them alive, burning them with acid, circumcising them etc."

For more juicy tidbits, read the BBC News version of the story.

5 comments:

karmic said...

I read it on BBC too, strange eh?

Andy said...

HAHAHAHA...so are these common problems in Herouxville? Who is moving to this crap town?

Anonymous said...

Well, I assume that its not just "outside norms" but also illegal to do those things in Quebec. I actually think the Dutch were more offensive to a close filipino friend of mine who emigrated there and when taking the mandatory assimilation course, was "taught" how to use soap. No joke.

Ameet said...

sanjay: strange indeed

andy: there's exactly ONE immigrant family in this town of 1,300. You're right - who'd move there anyway?

james: "Illegal" would've been a better way to put it. Obviously, the town reeks of ignorance.

Prasann said...

My favorite joke on this subject...which is basically ignorance -

"Do you guys still use elephants to travel ?"

"Nopes, not me. I am scared of heights. I use a buffalo."