fotoluvr - View my most interesting photos on Flickriver

Friday, January 12, 2007

Mary Had A Little Lamb

Poor Nina spent a little too much time in boarding in the past few months. The end result? A bad case of matted fur. The groomer had to crop it all down. She now looks like a miniature sheared lamb.

She hated the whole experience - the clippers, the vacuum, the bath and the dryer. She came home really, really pissed off. To make matters worse, it's winter and the poor thing is cold. I tried a jacket on her yesterday and she detested it like "the Donald" hates Rosie. She refused to move in it.

Neither of us slept well last night. She was probably too cold in her usual sleeping spot, and I had to wipe pee off the floor at 3am. Today's been hell trying to clean up the frequent mess at home. During my much needed evening nap, I finally caved in and took her up on the bed with me. That's been my one hygiene rule so far - no Nina on the bed. Well, she just seemed so cold & miserable today, I couldn't leave her out.

Tonight, I've once again put the jacket on her, hoping she gets used to it. It's been an ordeal. Aside from a few steps to fetch a treat, she's refusing to move. She's been in the same spot for the past 15 minutes, giving me the "how could you?" look and emitting heart-wrenching whimpers once in a while. I'll take the jacket off now and resign myself to one more day of cleaning crap off the floor.

Days like this make me wonder if I made a mistake.

16 comments:

Sapna said...

OMG! Doesn't she look like the cutest thing ever though!

She'll get used to the jacket. Though I didn't think dogs were so fussy about clothes.

And I actually like this look better than the long-haired thing she had going on

Manu said...

When you look into eyes, you KNOW you've not made a mistake!!! :)

sudeep said...

Its like taking care of a kid and yes, its a huge responsibility. I am sure you will smoothen the rough edges eventually and get into the groove...you need to have confidence that you can see this thru, along with the rest of your life's travails! Cheers...

autogato said...

Oh course you did not make a mistake!!!! She loves you, you love her. This is only temporary - her fur will grow back and she will be a happy, loving puppy. She's likely just feeling stressed out and confused (as evidenced by the pee/poop on the floor bit) and needs some extra comfort. I'm glad you broke the No Nina On Bed rule. It sounds like that was just what she needed - some extra love and cuddles from her daddy. :)

Kushal Ruia said...

oh dear...i know she is miserable..but if ist any consolation...she looks so adorable to these ignorant human eyes of mine!
i miss her!
:-(

Andy said...

did it occur to you that she may be pissed off cuz you didnt get her the matching booties and hat. Hello! It's all about accesorizing and she knows it.

karmic said...

She looks cute! Maybe she is reacting to you beign away as well?
It's also possible that she will get used to this.
Good luck!

Anonymous said...

amazingly cute. but the jacket looks silly. listen to her and get rid of it :)

Prachi Junankar-Gokhale said...

I say just bring her into bed and snuggle. I bet her tummy is super warm. :-)
Prachi

Ameet said...

Thanks to everyone for your encouragement. Yes, her tummy IS super warm at night - if only she could sit still for longer than 5 mins.

Getting her clipped this time of year was a HORRIBLE idea and I'm going to let the vet know what I thought of his advice. The groomer too. I have to blast the heat all the way up else the poor thing shivers on the floor all day.

Dr. Grumbles said...

aww... she looks so dejected! raising the furry ones can be rough at times. You know you don't regret anything!

Beenzzz said...

Oh no, your little dog is very upset about her haircut and jacket. Don't worry, she will come around and forgive you. :)

autogato said...

This may seem like a dumb question, but is she wearing make-up? She looks like she has on blush. I wish my cheeks were as rosy!!!!

Chic Mommy said...

Hey love, just got a chance to catch up with your posts. I think Nina looks adorable. You've got one styling puppy there. She's got a good dad. :)

Ameet said...

beenzz: I sure hope so

autogato: Yeah - they make a special blush for doggies. Just kidding - it's tear staining.

chic_mommy: Long time! Of course, puppy needs some stylin too! Too bad she didn't take to it.

Nick said...

Im no dog expert... in fact far from it.
But, I am speculating here - maybe she is uncomfortable after the haircut cause 1. its cold and she is cold, 2. she feels itchy all over (like kids do after haircut), 3. Feels like she was punished for something (since its her first trim down) and perhaps needs some extra TLC.

And yes your vet seems like a moron - recommending the first trim down for a puppy in winter.

Do you think a nice heating pad (with water proof sheet on it) in her bed along with a soft blankie help her feel warmer?