fotoluvr - View my most interesting photos on Flickriver

Monday, June 26, 2006

Five Seconds of Fame



During my days in the closet, I'd avoid obviously gay events like Pride fests, for fear of being seen, or worse still accidentally ending up in a newspaper photo. I opened today's Toronto Star, jumped to page A9, which featured a full-page spread on the Pride Parade. And there I was! On the sidelines. Smiling at the excellent photo op presented by the "lady" in white, on a shiny red car. Standing next to me is my dear friend S, who fought a hangover to come watch the parade with me.

9 comments:

autogato said...

Rockin! I'm glad that you are comfortable enough in your own skin to attend these activities. They raise awareness, foster unity, and they're fun!

You're such a hottie.

Ameet said...

autogato: Thank you [blushing profusely] :)

The Toronto Pride Parade drew over a million people - not all queer. It didn't take much to stand on the sidelines and take pictures. I'll post more about this later.

See Bee said...

cool!
how it felt?
:)

Chic Mommy said...

this is too cute! I went to the parade in the Village once (in NYC) with a gay friend, we had a blast!

Chic Mommy said...

but it didn't help him much in terms of getting any attention that day, because people thought we were a couple. Inadvertantly, I kind of ruined it for him in the beginning (when he was trying to come out of the closet).

Ameet said...

It's near impossible to get attention during Pride weekend. Everyone's strutting around trying to find someone 'better', with the end result that no one really talks to anyone. Besides, it's insanely crowded, the phones don't work, and if you blink, you lose your friends in the crowd.

Ameet said...

TQ: It felt weird. I was half expecting my photo to show up somewhere and it did! It's nice though that I'm embracing the city so fast. It took me many years to really feel at home in DC.

Manu said...

Now if only we could deliver a copy of that Toronto Star to Kotachiwadi :)

Wild Reeds said...

Yipees!
Big hugs. You are not in the Toronto Star, you are THE Toronto Star!