fotoluvr - View my most interesting photos on Flickriver

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Home

Sometime during my inebriated bar-hopping last night, I stumbled upon a "For Sale" sign outside an imposing attractive looking townhouse between Yonge & Church Streets - steps from the village. I joked to my friends that this would be a house worth keeping a high-stress job for. I guess they were sober enough to point out that there would be an open house today.

So this afternoon, on I went through the ornate, wrought iron gates into what turned out to be a cozy little courtyard of townhouses. The stone steps led to pretty front porches with flower planters and a very homely atmosphere. The house turned out to be a relatively new, beautiful 4-level townhome with a 2-car garage. Well laid out, bright, airy with 1800 sq.ft. of space to go around. All of the asking price of $639K, soon to be "reduced substantially". Now before anyone croaks, let me put this in perspective. A 2-bedroom, 1200 sq.ft. condo in a good building in Toronto will set you back by at least $450K, not to mention monthly maintenance. Considering the location, size and ambience, this house seemed like heaven. It brought back memories from my place in Virgina. Back then, I used to joke that if I could transplant my townhouse from the suburbs into the middle of DC, I'd never leave. This house seemed like just that. Barely two blocks away from my current place, it seemed like an oasis of seclusion and comfortable living. Happy, domestic thoughts came back.

I could afford this place if I rented out one or two of the bedrooms. It would still be steep, but not much more than I'm paying in rent right now. However, houses come with a lot of maintenance. Am I ready for the responsibilities again? What about my 6-month vacation plans? What if I find myself out of a job? Do I really need a place this big? Am I ready for domestic life again?

In a way, I feel lighter right now not having to worry about home maintenance. I write one check a month and that covers everything. I call maintenance if the door sticks. I can choose put my things in storage, leave this place and go away if I wanted. There's a sense of freedom. However, that house felt right. It felt good. It felt like I belonged. It woke up something inside of me.

Life is full of difficult decisions and most of mine have been impulsive ones. However, in this case, I'm going to let discretion win. I am going to step aside and let someone else make it their home. Sigh.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn - go for it. Seriously.

I think there's something really settled about having a home of your own. And this one sounds beautiful. Remember the house in Virginia? And how happy it made you? (At least I'm assuming.)

Maybe some of the unrest is part of the unsettled feeling. Maybe we have it all wrong - looking for the right place to be settled. Maybe we should look to being settled, and make it the right place.

Maybe I'm just talking like a married woman :P But seriously, think about it. There's something really nice about caring for somethong that's your own - house, cat whatever. All I'm saying is think about it seriously, instead of the easy way out of one check a month for everything.

Wild Reeds said...

Awww... there will definitely be another one that will be PERFECT for you. You will stumble upon it when the time and circumstances are right. Loved the description of the house - imagined you going into the Open House, et al.
I have always fantasised about buying off our neighbouring flat each time it changed hands. But the current owners are blissfully rooted in domesticity and just had their second baby. So compu' sez naohhh...

autogato said...

Keep the faith. If you have made a reasoned decision that this is not the home for you right now, keep the faith that an even better home for you will appear in your life in the future. Consider it your motivation to save. Consider it your motivation to keep looking. Keep the faith!

Anonymous said...

Hey!

It really sounds a lot like the townhouse we were talking about when I met you in Mumbai. Go for it!! Lightness of being is overrated. :P
Now all you have to do is find someone to open that ground floor cafe. Hopefully I can replicate the townhouse/cafe idea in Adelaide.

:)

karmic said...

Good move in letting discretion win. As a recent home owner I can tell you all these places look nice, and they can be very tempting.
It's fun to have your own place though. The added responsibility ain't bad, I am finding out a lot of new stuff that I normally would not have bothered with cos we rented before.
Good luck though should you choose to start house hunting again.

Ameet said...

Nothing like some conflicting advice from your friends :)

The agent called last night to say the asking price has been dropped to $598K. I think they might accept $550K. Still tempted. Arrrghh.

autogato said...

You've got to keep the faith on the house! While this one might not have been at the right time for you, keep the faith that the right time WILL come for the right home!

autogato said...

Uh, somehow I managed to make a similar comment to this posting on two separate days. Is this a sign that I have lost my mind???

Ameet said...

Are you getting enough sleep? :P

Anonymous said...

oo shucks.
gawd, those big ticket financial decisions are hard, na? *pats back*