fotoluvr - View my most interesting photos on Flickriver

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Bombay Rediscovered

Phew. I finally got a break from five, non-stop days of exploring this city from a whole new perspective, with a whole new set of people from all over the world. I haven't had this much fun in Bombay since 1996. Some cool new finds:

- Seijo: Fabulous lounge hidden away on the 3rd floor of an inconspicuous building on Waterfield Road. Equally yummy-looking resraurant next door, although I didn't get to eat there. Thanks Vik for dragging us out there!

- Salt Water Grill: So far, my favorite meal in town. Possibly THE best place in South Bombay for dinner and drinks on a good-weather day. Beach-chic ambience. We sat on the lovely couches in the bar area. The table was a rough-cut sheet of stained wood resting on coconut palm stumps. Great view of the Queen's Necklace. Soft sounds of surf crashing on sand. Eclectic lounge music. Tiki-torches and discreet mosquito coils keeping various flying objects at bay. Amazing Italian food. Great drinks menu. World-class service.

- Konkan Cafe (President Hotel): This is my comfort food. Fabulous fish delicacies. Equally fabulous vegetarian selections. Restaurant is decorated like a traditional konkani home - reminiscent of grandparent-era homes I had the fortune of visiting during my childhood. Memorable cocktails (thanks Alana and Andy):
- coconut water + Absolut Kurant
- fresh lime soda (sweet) + Bombay Sapphire

Memorable moments from the past five days:

- standing around in a huddle outside Elephanta caves, surrounded by an army of monkeys, and a few dogs, trying to eat a sandwich

- eating Black Forest cake at the Sea Lounge, as part of my early-birthday celebration. Thank you Manu, Andy, Mark, Alana and Ryan (not necessarily in that order). I couldn't have asked for a better way to turn 30! Well - almost 30. And did I mention they were playing elevator-ABBA in the background?


- the big-breasted woman at Swati Snacks with "Hooch" written on her shirt, which my dirty mind promptly mis-read and led to a Mexican wave of laughter around the table

A huge thank you to Andy for making that detour, to Manu for instigating this trip, to Mark for being my travel buddy through the first few days and putting up with that train-ride from hell, and to Alana and Ryan for taking the long train ride down from Kandivali almost every single day. Speaking of Alana and Ryan - you guys rock! This city is not for the faint of heart and I wish I was half as brave as you when I was your age. If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere.

1 comment:

Andy said...

If I told you once, I told you a million times...DARLING YOU ARE WORTH MORE THAN ANY DETOUR OR HELLISH TRAIN RIDE!! I couldn't imagine a better person to discover Bombay with. MUAH