fotoluvr - View my most interesting photos on Flickriver

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Technicolor Nightmares

Help! I'm going insane!

A few hours wandering around the empty rooms of my new condo have convinced me that the muddy, depressing shade of yellow on the walls has to go! I wish there was an 'erase tool' for wall colours but there isn't. You actually have to paint over with another colour - of your choice. That sounds easier than it is. There are only about a bajillion different shades to choose from.

It gets better. Whatever shade I choose has to go with the dark wood floors and the snow-white doors and kitchen cabinets. And did I mention the bathrooms? Black tiles with greenish veins. Yeah. My brain feels like a blender at a vegan juice bar - with assorted multi-coloured fruits being thrown in to create an odd-looking cocktail. Arrrrghhhh.

I have all of tomorrow to scour the paint stores for chips that work, try out testers and be ready for when my budget-painter arrives on Wednesday morning. I have actually had nightmares with colour wheels hovering menacingly over my bed and my condo being critiqued on a TV makeover show.

Ugh. Too much stress. I think I'm just going to settle for a basic peachy beige that'll accentuate the wood floor. Nightmare-be-gone.

11 comments:

sudeep said...

Dont take the easy, boring route! Beige my foot! Think a little...I am sure you will find a pastel that's suitably muted (and hence brings out the flooring etc) and at the same time has some individuality. Looking forward to seeing some photos soon!

Manu said...

Haha makes me think of that old Asian paints ad campaign in India - Mera wala creme!

Chic Mommy said...

My first condo, I went crazy with corn yellow and regretted it deeply. Now in in our current house I stuck to shades of beige and added color accents of red and black and sage green with bedding, window treatments, and throw pillows. It's been good so far, but it is starting to feel a little boring, not young and fresh as the yellow, but it looks like a clean neutral look, which is what I wanted. The only room I did all in color was the dining room in Benjamin Moore Audobon Russet. The rest of the house is BM Shaker Beige.

You might want to try BM Sheraton Beige for a nice peachy beige. I saw that in the color wheel, but our cabinets are oak and it wasn't matching.

Congrats on the new place, homeowner!

Ameet said...

sudeep: isn't beige a pastel too? I need something peachy to bring out the floors

manu: it's now a quest for mera wala peach

cm: I painted the living room of my last townhouse in Behr Spiced Butternut. Everyone loved it. It worked cause it was an enormous, bright room. My first instinct was the repeat this at the condo, but luckily better sense prevailed.

Right now I'm torn between a peach and a rich russet (similar to Bm Audobon Russet). I bought a quart of it at Canadian Tire (our version of KMart) and guess what? It takes 3 coats to get anywhere near the shade on the card. That's too much work. I might default to the peach for now, and maybe do a few accent walls in russet.

Meanwhile, I've settled on a soothing blue for the bedroom and home-office. At least two of the rooms will have some sanity.

Wild Reeds said...

I think peachy beige will be nice. Ah, the exclusive homosexual pleasure of decor!
;-)

Anonymous said...

hehehe. peach sounds PERFECT!
also, how about a light milky-coffee shade?

sou said...

thought you might like playing with this.

karmic said...

LOL. Luckily we left the colors on our walls in the house we bought recently the same as before. The two lesbians who owned the place before had a great taste.

So any luck with getting a shade you liked?

See Bee said...

"I wish there was an 'erase tool' for wall colours"
hee hee

so what color didja finally choose? i would recommend...orange!!!

and oh..u must read my new blogpost..methinks you might be interested :)

Ameet said...

wr: indeed!

closetalk: I thought about that - but it looks too dark & dull at night.

sou: Thanks. I've been using this and the one from Behr. Sometimes, too much choice can be a bad thing :P

jay: You better not change anything in the house - the lesbians are watching and will kick your ass if you do :P

tq: Saw your post. Cute.

Chic Mommy said...

blue is a nice color, I'm thinking of redoing my son's room in blue. It's currently light yellow, and I think it makes him hyper.